CHILI TASTING & COMPETITION
Chili cooks from all over the Southwest converge on the Snowmass Mall in Snowmass Village, Colorado for two days of competition during the weekend of Snowmass Mammoth Fest. Thousands of dollars in prize money will go to a few select winners as well as the coveted honor to participate in the International Chili Society (ICS) World Championships held each fall in a select US city. Come and take part in the fun, and sample various specialty Red Chili, Green Chili and Salsas each day.
FRIDAY IS FREE!
Friday is our “Chili showcase day" on the Base Village Mall, where there will be chili to taste, music to dance to and beer and wine for purchase. On Friday the mall will be licensed for alcohol so you can enjoy your favorite beverage while strolling between the chili and music. Saturday will be more about the cooks and competition; however, if you missed the big tasting on Friday you will have the opportunity to taste chili as well on Saturday (no music or alcohol will be available on Saturday as we gear up for the festival in Town Park). Food and beverages will be available for purchase from Mall businesses. The chili events are family friendly and FREE to the public, so we encourage you to bring the whole family! Don’t miss out on the local's favorite festival of the year and Snowmass Village's kickoff to the summer.
How the Chili Tasting Works:
Cooking starts early each day and the public is invited and encouraged to mingle among the 20 plus cooks throughout “The Mall”. The public will be provided a tasting cup and spoon to sample various chili entries and invited to vote for the People’s Choice Award. See the schedule below for tasting times or click here for the entire weekend schedule.
- Judging – There will be a panel of expert judges who will follow the ICS rules of judging and select the (3) top winners in each category. All 1st place winners will advance to the ICS World Championships.
- You be the judge – Attendees may vote for the People’s Choice Award for the best Red Chili. Information on site.
- Friday, June 13th – 5-9pm – LIVE MUSIC and CHILI TASTINGS. Chili will be served starting at 5pm until it runs out so come early to guarantee a taste. If you miss out on the chili don’t worry there will be free music until 9pm and the Snowmass Mall businesses will be open for shopping so plan on making an evening out of it!
- Saturday, June 14th – CHILI TASTINGS ONLY. Chili will be served starting at NOON. Grab a quick taste and then head down to Snowmass Town Park for our Grand Beer Tasting with over 25 microbreweries and a full day of music. Saturday’s Grand Beer Tasting will be held from 2-5pm with world class music rocking the Town Park stage until 10pm.
Schedule of Events:
Click here for the full weekend schedule of events
Types of Chili:
- Red Chili
- Green Chili
Judging Categories for Both Days:
- Best Red (no beans or fillers) – 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place
- Best Green - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place
- Best Salsa - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place
- People’s Choice (Red Only)
Think You Have What it Takes to Win?
- Anyone can participate in the cook-off! All you have to do is be a member of the International Chili Society and submit a cook-off application. Registrations accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Click here for application information.
Chili Competition Prizes:
- $600 purse - 1st Place - Red Chili Division
- $300 purse - 2nd Place - Red Chili Division
- $150 purse - 3rd Place - Red Chili Division
- Ribbon – People’s Choice Award
- $250 purse - 1st Place - Green Chili Division
- $125 purse - 2nd Place - Green Chili Division
- $75 purse - 3rd Place - Green Chili Division
- $100 purse - 1st Place - Salsa Division
- $75 purse - 2nd Place - Salsa Division
- $50 purse - 3rd Place - Salsa Division
- All 1st place winners advance to ICS World Championships